By: Kin Kinsley – Senior Writer
We usually give you one preview with all weekend conference games, but with WVU playing Thursday, we bring you this one now and the rest later in the week.
#13 Kansas State (7-2) at West Virginia (6-4)
7:00pm ET – Fox Sports 1
Line – Kansas State +2.0
Offensive points per game: 36.2
Defensive points per game: 21.1
Offensive yards per game: 422.6
Rushing yards per game: 157.3
Passing yards per game: 265.2
Defensive yards per game: 346.8
Rushing yards allowed per game: 126.8
Passing yards allowed per game: 220.0
Offensive points per game: 34.1
Defensive points per game: 26.4
Offensive yards per game: 502.2
Rushing yards per game: 184.2
Passing yards per game: 318
Defensive yards per game: 385.2
Rushing yards allowed per game: 181.5
Passing yards allowed per game: 203.7
What you need to know:
- Kansas State leads the all time series 3-1, winning both games since WVU joined the Big 12 conference.
- Both of the Wildcats’ losses this season have been against teams that were in the top six in the polls (at the time the game was played).
- The Wildcats are 21st nationally in scoring defense (21.1) and 23rd in rushing defense (126.8 yards per game).
- Kansas State is ranked #12 in the latest College Football Playoff Poll.
- Jake Waters is a semifinalist for the Maxwell and Davey O’Brien Awards. He is seventh in the Big 12 in passing (241.0 yards per game) and fifth in total offense 286.1 ypg).
- Tyler Lockett ranks sixth nationally (fourth in the Big 12) with 97.3 receiving yards per game. Named a finalist for Campbell Trophy and one of ten finalists for the 2014 Senior CLASS Award. Monday he was named a semifinalist for the Biletnikoff Award.
- Since the start of last season, Waters and Lockett have connected on 132 completions for 2.062 yards and 16 touchdowns.
- Lockett is third in the Big 12 with 6.7 and Curry Sexton is fourth (5.9).
- Running back Charles Jones has scored 11 rushing touchdowns on the season, third in the Big 12 and 16th nationally.
- Jonathan Truman averages 9.4 tackles per game, third in the Big 12 and 32nd nationally. He has registered 3.5 tackles for loss and one fumble recovery. It was announced Tuesday that he is one of ten semifinalists for the Burlsworth Award.
- Ryan Mueller is on watch lists for five national awards, including the Nagurski and Bednarik. He is tied for the team lead in sacks (3.5) and has knocked down two passes.
- West Virginia’s Clint Trickett is third nationally in passing yards (3,173), ninth in passing yards a game (317.3) and 17th in total offense (308.2 ypg).
- Trickett is just the third WVU quarterback to throw for 3,000 yards in a season, joining Marc Bulger and Geno Smith.
- Kevin White is second nationally in reception per game (9.1), third in receiving yards per game (120.7) and 11th in touchdowns (eight). His 16 receptions against Texas set a program record.
- Mario Alford is tenth in the conference, averaging 5.3 receptions a game. His seven receiving touchdowns are tied for third in the Big 12.
- Rushel Shell is sixth in the Big 12 with 62.2 rushing yards per game and Wendell Smallwood is ninth (58.5).
- John Lambert is tied for the second in the Big 12 in scoring, averaging 10.1 points per game.
- West Virginia has the second best pass defense in the conference, allowing just 203.7 yards per game.
Related BGS Articles:
Jake Waters photo via Scott D. Weaver/Kansas State Athletics