MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (October 15, 2021) – A doubles sweep against Lousiville led the way on Saturday, as the West Virginia University tennis team capped day two of the Martha Thorn Invitational at Summit Tennis Academy in Morgantown.
“It was a good day of matches for us today,” coach Miha Lisac said. “We appreciate the tough competition and learning from being in those close matches. Tomorrow is another opportunity to learn and get better as a team.”
The Mountaineers sweep doubles play against Louisville Saturday morning before the afternoon singles round.
Doubles pair freshman Camilla Bossi and sophomore Ting-Pei Chang remain undefeated during the 2021 fall circuit as they claimed the match against Chelsea Sawyer and Tatiana Simova, 6-4.
The momentum continued as freshmen pair Kendall Kovick and Michaela Kucharova notched another victory for WVU (6-4) after battling it out with Tyra Richardson and Dina Chaika.
Sophomore Momoko Nagato and senior Anastasia Bovolskaiia tallied West Virginia their third and final doubles victory of the day defeating Joy Callwood and Rhea Verma, 6-2.
WVU went 3-3 in singles against Louisville during the second session of day two.
Bovolskaiia started off singles play with a victory for the Mountaineers and secured her first win of the weekend over Amanda Nord. After the senior claimed the first set, 6-2, Nord battled back and took the second, 7-5. In the tiebreaker, Bovolskaiia outlasted Nord, 10-6.
West Virginia dropped three consecutive matches against the Dukes. The first set-back came after Bossi went toe-to-toe with Kylie Moulin. The freshman dropped the first frame, 4-6, to come back and claim the second, 6-3, and forced the tiebreaker. Ultimately, Bossi fell to Moulin, 10-6.
In a three-set battle, Kovick was defeated by Daniela Voloh, 4-6, 6-3(10-8), before Chang fell to Daria Afansyeva, 6-3, 2-6(10-5).
To finish singles play, the Mountaineers bagged back-to-back victories over the Dukes, including Nagato’s two-straight set win over Hope Moulin (7-6, 6-0) and Kucharova against Michelle Los Arcos (6-2, 6-4).
- Camilla Bossi/Ting-Pei Chang (WVU) def. Chelsea Sawyer/Tatiana Simova (LOUISVILLE), 6-4
- Kendall Kovick/Michaela Kucharova (WVU) def. Tyra Richardson and Dina Chaika (LOUISVILLE), 6-4
- Momoko Nagato/Anastasia Bovolskaiia (WVU) def. Joy Callwood and Rhea Verma (LOUISVILLE), 6-2
- Daria Afansyeva (JMU) def. Ting-Pei Chang (WVU), 6-3, 2-6 (10-5)
- Daniela Voloh (JMU) def. Kendall Kovick (WVU), 4-6, 6-3 (10-8)
- Kylie Moulin (JMU) def. Camilla Bossi (WVU), 6-4, 3-6 (10-6)
- Anastasia Bovolskaiia (WVU) def. Amanda Nord (JMU), 6-2, 5-7 (10-6)
- Momoko Nagato (WVU) def. Hope Moulin (JMU), 7-6, 6-0
- Michaela Kucharova (WVU) def. Michelle Los Arcos (JMU), 6-2, 6-4
The Mountaineers are scheduled to conclude the final of competition with singles against PSU, Sunday at noon.