The first six weeks of the NFL season have flown by and if you were to summarize in one word the theme for WVUPros thus far unfortunately it would be “injuries.”
- Kevin White is out with a severe high ankle sprain which also included a spiral fracture of the fibula. White’s injury required surgery and he isn’t expected to return until week 13 at the earliest.
- The Giants decided to shut down Will Johnson after suffering a stinger to his shoulder. Johnson could not regain strength in the joint and the difficult decision was made to place him on injured reserved. The Giants running game has sorely missed Johnson’s blocking ability.
- New York has also placed J.T. Thomas on season-ending IR after Thomas tore his ACL against Dallas in week one.
- The Buccaneers placed Charles Sims on IR following a knee injury. Initially the injury did not appear serious but in the end Tampa Bay took the cautious route. Sims will be out for a minimum of eight weeks but likely longer.
- Lastly, rookie K.J. Dillon is out for the year after tearing his ACL Sunday night against the Colts. There are a handful of Mountaineers who have avoided the WVU injury bug in 2016 to catch up with how they performed in week 6 read below.
Now that we have the bad stuff out of the way, let’s discuss this past weekend’s games involving WVUPros.
Redskins 27 vs. Eagles 20
This game features three WVUPros, Wendell Smallwood, Terence Garvin, and Najee Goode. Smallwood returned a kickoff 86 yards for a touchdown in the loss. Smallwood also carried the ball 4 times for 6 yards and had one catch for 14 yards. Look for Smallwood’s touches to increase as the Eagles enter the meat of their schedule. Terence Garvin recorded one tackle for the Redskins while Goode did not register any stats. In week 7 the Eagles host the Vikings where kickoff is set for Sunday at 1 pm EST. The Redskins will travel to Detroit to take on the Lions at 1 pm EST on Sunday.
Patriots 35 vs. Bengals 17
The Tom Brady revenge tour continued as the Pats stomped the Bengals in Foxborough. Adam Jones had 3 tackles in the loss while Will Clarke did not show up on the stat sheet for the Bengals. The Bengals will look to bounce back at home Sunday against the lowly Browns. This game is a 1 pm EST start.
Lions 31 vs. Rams 28
In a new twist for the Rams, their once vaunted defense let them down as they fell to the Lions in Detroit. Tavon Austin had another quiet day with 3 catches for 24 yards and 3 carries for only 2 yards. Austin has simply not gotten the touches thus far, even after being signed to a hefty extension by the Rams. As in previous seasons, he appears to be a part of the gameplan early in the game, but they look the other way as the game progresses. Next week the Rams will play the Giants in London. The game will start Sunday morning at 9:30 am EST.
Chiefs 26 vs. Raiders 10
The Raiders lost a tough one the always stubborn Chiefs. Karl Joseph continued his ascent up the tackling leaders chart for the Raiders by racking up 9 total tackles including 7 solo. Bruce Irvin pitched in with 4 tackles of his own. The Raiders travel to Jacksonville Sunday for a 1 pm EST match-up with the Jaguars.
Cardinals 28 vs. Jets 3
The Jets fell to 1-5 on the season after a lopsided loss to the Cardinals. Geno Smith relieved an ineffective Ryan Fitzpatrick in the fourth quarter and promptly threw an interception. Smith ended up 4 of 6 for 31 yards and the one pick. Coach Todd Bowles said after the game Fitzpatrick will continue to be the starter but for how long remains to be seen. The Jets return home to face the Ravens Sunday at 1pm EST.